Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Post, June 21, 2009 Summer solstice

Today at 1:45 am Eastern Standard Time, the Solstice occurs. In the Northern Hemisphere, it is the Summer Solstice, with the longest daylight and shortest dark of the year. In the Southern Hemisphere it is exactly the opposite.

I am pleased to begin the Protection Farm Journal on this auspicious astronomical date.  I have lived at Protection Farm for three Summer Solstices, and co-incidentally, I have kept a good journal of my days, months, and seasons here.  Over the coming days months and seasons I will post on this site, material that I have collected, nature notes, facts and figures, and the occasional musings of life in a rural community. I will also keep updating my journal with my adventures of the day or week, as I see fit.

I sit here today on a rainy warm day, surrounded by nesting bluebirds, feeding hummingbirds, brilliant fireflies, and a myriad of creatures, plants and communities from which to learn and teach about my favorite subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment